Saturday, December 5, 2009

David James Smith Junior :)



I finally got some time so I wanted to update everyone about his birth. I woke up Tuesday and had some back pains that I hadn't had throughout the pregnancy. I didn't think much since we started walking the night before. I figured I was just having pain from carrying my belly. I went to lunch with my brother and sister and continued to have small pain. When I got home I laid on the couch hoping to stretch out and relieve the pain. It seemed to work a little. Dave got home from work and we went for another walk. As soon as we started I just had a feeling that I was in labor. We made one lap around our apartment complex and the pain just kept getting stronger and stronger. Dave and his mom went to get some food and I jumped in the shower cause I knew we were going to be going to the hospital that night. I started tracking my contractions about 9:30 and they were about 15 minutes apart. Dave showered and tried to lie down for a little. Unfortunately as soon as he was done about 10:30, my contractions were about 6 minutes apart and getting more and more painful. I wanted to make sure that we had enough time to drive to the hospital and get an epidural.

Once at the hospital I was checked and was 4cm dilated so they admitted me at 12:15 am Wednesday morning. After getting into the room the nurse said the anesthesiologist would come and explain the procedure for the epidural. Literally a minute later he came in. They offer it when someone is at least 4cm so it was up to me to get it now or wait. I made sure that it wouldn't run out before giving birth and decided to do it then. It took him 3 times to find the bubble to inject the medicine. That was definitely not a good part. I had to sit hunched over trying not to move through my contractions as he pricked around with the needle. But that little pain and time it took was definitely worth it. As soon as it kicked in I didn't feel a thing the rest of the time.

The waiting game began. Luckily the labor progressed really quickly. The next time they checked about and hour later I was 7-8cm. The nurse told me to try to relax and rest for the big push! We watched Zoolander and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days while we waited. I was also able to close my eyes for a little. Another 2 hours and I was 9cm. The babies head wasn't quite there so they made me wait another hour. I was ready to push after that.

The nurse scared me just a little right before having to push. She warned me that it's up to me how long it could take. At that point I convinced myself I'll do whatever it takes to get him out as quickly as possible. The epidural was working so well that the nurse had to tell me when I was having a contraction and to push. At first it was weird cause I didn't know if I was doing it right. The nurse was a great coach though because she kept encouraging me to push stronger and harder. It did not take long until she started seeing the head and got the doctor. Once the doctor came in, I pushed a few more times and D.J. was out with only 27 minutes of pushing. He joined the world at 6:57am Dec 2.


After that he was taken to the side to be checked, given his shots and cleaned. He was 7lbs. 14 oz and 21.5 inches. The doctor had to stitch me up and soon enough I was able to hold my baby boy. It was such an incredible feeling seeing him for the first time. I was holding it together until I saw Dave just break down and cry. The two of us couldn't be happier though. They were definitely tears of joy to finally start our family.

I was very happy how my body handled the birth. I was in little pain and it didn't take long. It makes me feel good about having more. I love being a new mom and love my two men with all of my heart and soul!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrapbooking Slide