My posts are going to start being a lot different now that D.J. is here. I'll probably write more about him than myself. I wanted to make a quick post while he's sleeping about his first week and half of life!
We came home from the hospital Thursday afternoon. My sister was a big help that night and stayed with us. I'm not sure how we would have made it without her because we took shifts and both Dave and I were struggling with our awake times. We were both sooo tired. Having my sister there to talk with us was a lifesaver. Friday we pretty much tried catching up on our sleep while D.J. slept. Nothing really exciting. Friday night our friends Jen and Aaron stopped over for a little to meet D.J. My brother Teal also came over to spend sometime with his nephew. It's so neat to see my family with D.J. It's a different kind of love that I never knew they had. Saturday we had his 2 day appointment. Unfortunately his weight was down a little too much so we had to go back in 2 more days to check it again. Other than that he checked out fine. The good thing was that I knew my milk was coming in so he should start gaining weight before the next appointment. My friend Jodi's daughters first birthday party was Saturday afternoon. The great thing was that it was right down the street from our apartment. We didn't want to take D.J. out of the car with the other kids. I was very happy to stop by so all the girls could see him and I could spend a few minutes with them. I cannot believe it's been a year since Mackenzie was just like D.J. I wish I could have stayed longer but D.J. was getting restless and I was getting tired.
Sunday we went to my sisters house to watch D.J's first Steeler game. He slept pretty much the whole game until I needed to feed him at the end. It was probably a good thing because we lost. Our season is pretty much over so D.J. will just have to wait until next year to help cheer them on.
Monday we went back to the doctors and he had gained 3 oz. The doctor was pleased with that weight gain so we just have to hope he gets back to his birth weight by his 2 week appointment. Balboa isn't accepting any new patients so we got to choose a civilian doctor. Dave and I were both very happy with that because military doctors are not always the best. We have his next appointment Dec. 16th.
The weather hasn't been the best and actually had a really hard rain storm Monday so we came home from the appointment and stayed in. That's about all we've been doing this week is hanging by the house enjoying our son. There have been some hard times but they don't last long. He ended up waking up Thursday with a lot of mucous coming out of his eye and having a hard time opening it. Dave was worried that it was pink eye so we called the nurse. He told us unless his eye has redness or swelling that it's probably a closed tear duct. I had never heard that newborns could have this but I guess this is pretty common. He suggested to just try to keep it cleaned of the mucous and rub the tear duct. He was A LOT more cranky because he couldn't open his eye when he tried to. Dave had to go into work this morning and having D.J. being extra cranky was hard but I made it. His eye started clearing up tonight and he seems so much better already.
It has been a great first week as a family even though we didn't do much. It sure is different having a baby in our lives. I'm so glad that Dave was able to have this time off with us cause I'm not sure I would have made it. I'm definitely not looking forward to him being back at work this week. Luckily my sister doesn't have to work. We are still trying to adjust to his schedule of feeding at least every 3 hours. Since I'm breastfeeding it has been a little harder on me but I'm managing. I am sooo happy to have him in our lives.
I won't be doing much this week but will update if anything happens at his doctors. My parents come in Friday night so I'm sure I'll have lots to post with Christmas right around the corner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Hey lady, sounds like things are going well! I very much remember those every 2-3 hour feedings. First suggestion...buy a pump and let Dave take over a night feeding (this saved me) I still had to get up and pump but then I could go right back to bed. When we started this I was getting 4-5 hrs of sleep with getting up once to pump. If he cries alot let me know, we have a few tricks for that as well, bouncing, white noise, etc. Katelyn was definitely a crier. Wayne and I also took turns with most things. Once he went back to work, we would split the night in two with one person getting up with her until 1am and then the next taking over from 1 til morning.
ReplyDeleteIt is exhausting but you are doing great!!!