Friday, January 1, 2010

Lots of News

I realized that I haven't posted anything in over 3 weeks. There has been so much that has happened that I hope I remember to write. I'll talk about D.J. first.

He has had 2 doctors appointments since my last post. His first appointment was his 2 week one. He ended up gaining back his birth weight which is right on track. The doctor suggested I change how I breastfeed a little to help him gain faster. I was letting him drink for 20-30 minutes from one breast. According to that doctor, having him feed 10-15 on both boobs will help him gain weight a little quicker. At first I was a little annoyed because I felt like I was just getting used to breastfeeding and now I had to change everything and kind of start over. Plus I was afraid what that was going to do to my milk supply. But I wanted to try it for my son. The doctor also showed us how to correctly rub his eye to help open his tear duct. Other than that he checked out great for that appointment. The next appointment was for his 1 month check up. His measurements are weight: 8lbs 3oz and height 22.5in. He measures 25% in height and his head measurement and 75-90% in height. They say you can't predict anything until they are 3 but we are keeping our fingers crossed he continues to grow lengthwise and be a tall boy! The doctor looked at his big toes and gave us some suggestions to help. His nails weren't growing over the skin and was causing some blood under them. The doctor said that it looks like it had fixed itself but told us to try clipping the nail after a bath to help it grow correctly. He checked out great and will go back when he's 2 months for the dreaded shots :(


I'm going to take a picture with the pig each month to show his growth.

I cannot believe that it's been a month already. I can definitely understand how everyone says how quickly they grow. Within that month we celebrated his first Christmas. My family was able to be come out here and spoil him. We decided to do a grab bag instead of buying for everyone. The funny thing is that everyone ended up getting each other gift cards since no one knew what they really wanted. My brother gave me and Dave the best gift. We are planning on flying home to Pittsburgh in March and he's going to buy us our round trip flights. With a new baby, we couldn't have asked for a better gift. I tried telling my family not to buy much for D.J. since he won't remember any of it. I think he ended up having more presents to open than the rest of us. He got a bunch of books from my sister. My mom bought probably every first baby ornament that was out there. He received a Steeler blanket and basketball bath toy. It was a great Christmas. The best part is that my mom brought out a Santa outfit for D.J. to wear. We ended up stuffing it to make him look like he had a belly. We pretty much tortured him to get pictures.

We had a great turkey/ham dinner. That night we played different board games with the fam and our friends Jen and Aaron. It truly was a great first Christmas as a family. We are looking forward to starting traditions with D.J. next year.

Sad part of our holiday was finding out that our Grandmother passed Christmas Eve morning. She had Alzheimer's and was getting worse and worse the last couple of months. We pretty much knew it was coming but it was still pretty hard hearing the news. I felt bad for my mom since she was out here and couldn't be there for my Grandpa. She thought about flying home but my Grandpa insisted on her staying here. They are having the funeral next weekend when they are back. My siblings are flying home for it but unfortunately I won't be able to with D.J. being so young. My family understands and we will plan something when we go home in March. I know that my Grandma is in heaven watching over us.

We also got to celebrate the New Year as a family. We didn't do much, just went to my sisters and hung with my parents. The best part was that D.J. was actually awake to see the ball drop. It truly was a great end to our 2009. I'm looking forward to 2010 and seeing our boy change and grow so much.


My parents left this morning. It was so great to see them with D.J. They are the happiest grandparents with their first grandchild. I know he will be loved and spoiled by them. My mom is already planning on coming back in February now that she is retired. It was hard for them to leave. It was cute because they kept asking if they could take him home with them. These are times I wish we lived closer.

The other great thing the last 2 weeks is that Dave's work ended up giving them time off for the holiday. He was supposed to have to work up until Christmas and then again until New Year. When he was on baby leave, they changed their minds and gave them almost 2 weeks off. He just had to go in 3 days to check in. That was great time we got to spend as a family. I know he appreciated being able to spend more time with D.J. and so did I. It was a quick 2 weeks and sucks he has to go back to work this week. We don't have much planned for the weekend. We watched the bowl games today. We are just going to relax and enjoy the last few days the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrapbooking Slide