Monday, January 11, 2010

First Sick Scare

D.J. wake up Sunday morning with a pinkish tint to his pee. We called the doctors office and spoke to a nurse. She thought that it might have something to do with my infection and antibiotics I was taking but suggested calling for an appointment Monday. He continued to be pretty tired most of the day and sleeping in our arms. We started noticing before every feeding he hadn't peed either. This was completely not normal for him. He had only pooped in the morning which was even weirder. I was beyond nervous because he went about 12 hours without peeing or pooping. Dave fed him a bottle at 10. We decided if he didn't pee after that we would go to the emergency room. Luckily he ended up peeing which eased some of my worry. He woke up with a small amount of pee but I still wanted to be seen to make sure nothing serious was wrong.

We saw the doctor and D.J. checked out fine. His weight was 8lbs. 14oz. which is normal weight gain for him. The doctor said that he's dehydrated that could be from my infection. That could have affected my milk for a few days. He wasn't too concerned since his weight gain was good. He suggested to give him a few more bottles if he doesn't seem to be taking to the boob as much and also trying to feed him a little more often. He usually feeds every 3 hours so I'm trying every 2-3 hours until he seems to be back to normal.

I am noticing a change already though. He's pooped 2 times since his doctors appointment and peed more often. I didn't have to hold him for any of his naps today!! I put him in the swing this morning so I could get ready for the doctors. When we got home from the doctors we both laid down in our bed after his feeding. He ended up falling asleep without me holding him. His next nap I put him down while he was tired but still awake. The doctor said we could start trying this and if he doesn't sleep to go ahead and pick him back up. He's still too young to let him go too long by himself but letting him try to fall asleep on his own is a good start. He looked around for a little then started whining so I gave him his pacifier. That ended up settling him down for a nap. He didn't last long but it was time for a feeding anyways so I didn't mind. When Dave got home he had just finished a feeding and was a little cranky. Dave put him down and he was awake for awhile before falling asleep. Unfortunately he seems to like falling asleep with his pacifier. I'm noticing once that falls out he wakes up looking for it to be put back in his mouth. It will be nice once he's able to do that for himself. I'm hoping him not feeling well is why he hasn't wanted to sleep in his bed. Let's hope he will sleep in his bed for a little tonight so we can both get a little better sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrapbooking Slide