A week or so ago I said I was going to post updates about myself and Dave and never got to it. I got some time today so I wanted to write something. Well if you've been following along, you realize the biggest change for Dave and me was when he was let go from the Navy in May. We quickly decided to move back to Pittsburgh where we both grew up and our families are still here. Dave had a hard time deciding what to do. He didn't want to go right back into something after 9 years in the military. He took a few months off to collect unemployment and stay at home with the boys.
In the meantime, I got a job at a daycare that I thought I was going to love. It was right near my parents house so knew I could take the boys to my moms anytime Dave needed a break. I worked in the 2 1/2-3 year old class. The ratio was 6 kids to 1 adult and we had a total of 12 kids for 2 teachers. It seemed like a great place to work at first. Well, I ended up not liking it because I was still changing diapers which I didn't go to college to do. So I started looking else where. Nice thing was that my Dad's assistant was leaving around the same time. After some talking about the job and future, I decided to work for my Dad. I have been working for him for a month. Right now I'm just being his administrative assistant, but I'm really trying to learn his job. He works with teachers to set up retirement plans. He makes some good money in the financial field. He wants me to take over his clients in a few years so he can retire. In order for me to do that, I need to get licensed to sell products. I believe it's called Series 6 and 7. I'm going to start getting the material and use the time I'm not doing much in the office to study. I think this is something I can be very successful doing once I understand all the ins and out of finance. It's definitely a nice change from teaching, especially because teaching is impossible to get into right now. I just hope I can get licensed is my major concern right now.
Dave on the other hand has gone back to school full time. After applying to a few places that he knew he would like to do and not getting an interview, he decided to use his GI Bill and have the military pay for his school. He is able to collect unemployment and get paid housing each month since he is going full time. He is actually making more money than I am working full time. That bugs the hell out of me but he deserves it giving 9 years of his life to the Navy. So he's trying to adjust to doing homework and going to class everyday. It's funny how much he needs my help when he didn't think he would! He's doing so great though and I'm very proud of him. He's going into the medical field. He thinks of being an anesthesiologist. He's not 100% sure but that's what he's leaning towards right now. He has to see if he can get into medical school for that. This semester he's taking English, Computer, Math, Bio, and Bio Lab. That's pretty much it for him though since school takes up the majority of his time.
The other thing to note about myself is that I am volunteer coaching a high school volleyball team. I ran into my high school volleyball coach at the grocery store one day. After talking for a little, I mentioned I would love to get into coaching again. I did some right after college and have always wanted to get back into it. She said that if I'd be willing to volunteer this year, maybe next year it would be a paid position. So after talking with Dave and my mom since she is now watching the boys, I joined the team! It's nice being a volunteer cause I don't have to go to everything. I make most of the practices since they are from 5-8. I do not go to the away games, but make the home games. It has been something I am so happy I decided to do. I am loving being around the girls and teaching them how to improve. Plus we are a good team which always helps! ;) I really am hoping to stick with it and keeping my fingers crossed I get paid for it next year so I can really put my full effort into it.
Well that's about it for now. I'll let you know when things change again cause I know they will for us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment