Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cameron Micheal

I wanted to write a post about the birth of our second son, Cameron Micheal, if not more for myself so when I finally do start scrapbooking (yea right ;) than I have something to look back on.

My due date came and went and Cameron still didn't feel like joining us. This kind of scares me because both boys seem to be on their own terms already...not sure how Dave and I are going to handle these two together! I was 2cm dilated and my doc scraped me to try to speed up the process. When the doctor did that with DJ, I went into labor the next day. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with Cameron. I thought I was feeling contractions, but they wouldn't last. So I kept going another week with no signs. Than the morning of March 3rd, I woke up with more contractions, but again they weren't anything to be worried about since they seemed to stop after resting. After playing with DJ in the morning, when we put him down for his nap, Dave and I decided to try to nap ourselves. We actually got a great 2 hour nap, but than were woken up to my water breaking! I knew instantly that's what happened because it truly felt like a rush of water coming out of me. Really disgusting when you think about it, but that's the truth. It almost felt like Cameron kicked inside and decided he was ready to be born and broke my water :)

Luckily my mom was in since she was going to be there to help us with DJ while in the hospital, so we left her with DJ to bring Cameron into this world. We had to drive about 30 minutes to get to the Navy hospital on Camp Pendleton. Instantly my contractions started getting more intense and A LOT closer. I did not have this intensity with DJ since my water never broke by itself. When we finally got to the hospital, of course there was a wait to be checked to make sure I was in labor. Are you serious?? The nurse who took us into the room was not very nice or helpful which made matters worse. Dave was great trying to keep me calm though. He truly is my rock. She put us on monitors and told me to lay down while they watched us to track our contractions. While I was laying on my back, I got the most painful contractions, I couldn't keep laying the way she wanted me to. So I sat up which eased the pain. The nurse came rushing in saying you have to lay down like I said because you're affecting the baby. I think I might have started crying at that point with the pain and thinking of Cameron that I couldn't handle it anymore. A doctor finally came in and as soon as she looked at me she knew I was in labor and needed a room right away. She checked me and said I was 8cm. Looking back at it now, that nurse was a complete b**** for putting me through that.

We were rushed into a room to change and be hooked up to monitors. My contractions were only getting worse so the anesthesiologist was there within in seconds of getting changed to give me the epidural. She was wonderful and instantly started the drugs as I like to call it!! She joked around that she might have to deliver the baby being that I'm 8cm. As soon as she was done saying that, I felt the urge to start pushing. The nurses and everyone in the room said to just push. I didn't understand since again none of this happened with DJ where I couldn't feel anything and the nurses had to tell me when to push. So I just decided to push.

Than I stopped because I realized that the "drugs" weren't fully working and I could feel mostly everything. I looked at Dave and again, being my rock, he asked if there was anything we could do. When the nurses said no, he gave me a quick pep talk and I just pushed with all my might. I pushed through the pain just so I could get Cameron in my arms to stop the pain. After pushing about 20 minutes, Cameron Micheal was born at 6pm March 3, 2011!!



When the doctor finally saw Cameron, he started saying "Wow, that's at least a 9 pound baby!" I thought he was joking because I just assumed he would be about average like DJ. I actually gained a lot less than I did with DJ. He ended up weighing 9.13. I could not believe it! I was carrying around an almost 10 pound baby for 9+ months. No wonder I could feel everything too ;) He measured 21 inches in length. I have to say I fell in love all over again when I finally held him for the first time.



The birth of your child is one of those things that you cannot begin to explain the joy it brings. There's just a happiness that comes over you that you can't describe. I truly felt complete when we became a family of 4!!



Here's a picture of DJ meeting Cameron for the first time. My mom and brother were able to visit since it was early enough before his bedtime. As you can see, DJ was immediately interested in Cameron and he loves his little brother so much already!!


Cameron started eating and sleeping well right off the bat. He was cleared after only a day in the hospital so we were able to go home, which I was so happy to be in our own home and bed. It was a little bit of an adjustment having a newborn again, but we managed to make it through those first couple of hard weeks without killing one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrapbooking Slide