Yesterday was our 36 week appointment. There was an unexpected outcome to this one. It was a normal check up starting with the measurements and heart rate. The midwife ended up having a really hard time finding the heart beat. She wasn't concerned because she could tell he was moving a lot. After about 15 minutes of trying, she decided to use the ultrasound. It turns out the reason she was having a hard time is because he is breech. I couldn't believe it. The last appointment he was head down so within a month he somehow managed to flip on us.
She recommended doing a procedure to turn him head down. I would go to the hospital where the doctors try to manipulate him from the outside of my belly. At first Dave and I weren't 100% sure about this. There are some risks is why you do it at the hospital. If something would go wrong during the procedure they may have to preform an emergency c-section. The other thing is that he might still flip back around. If he is still breech, I would be scheduled for a c-section at 39 weeks. I would much rather have him vaginally is why we decided to go ahead with the procedure. After thinking about it and talking it over, I think giving it a try is better than not. They will be watching everything during the procedure so if something does go wrong they will stop.
So right now I was given some exercises to get him to turn on his own that I'm going to do. I'm hoping that those will help him and then we won't have to worry about doing the procedure when we get there. If not, it is scheduled for Nov. 12. I go back to see the midwife Nov. 16th and pray that he has stayed head down so I won't be scheduled for a c-section that next week.
As soon as she told me about the emergency c-section, my mind started racing about all the things we still needed to get done before we are ready. I still have a few loads of his laundry to do. I need to get his room completely set up. Even though I plan to breast feed, I still need to sanitize his bottles in case. So this weekend we are going to work together to get everything ready. Hopefully it'll work out so I can relax a little bit more about all of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment