Monday, September 19, 2011

New Job

I don't even know the last time I wrote a post so I'm just going to tell you about one new and exciting news! When Dave and I moved back to Pittsburgh, I didn't know what else to do but go work in a preschool again. That was the last thing I wanted to do but I had no other option and I needed to work. I got hired at what seemed to be a decent preschool. Little did I realize how much I was going to hate that place after only working there for 4 months. Long story short is that the front office that ran the center just sucked and didn't know anything about running a business, so I wanted to get out of there ASAP! Luckily my Dad had lost his administrative assistant due to marriage and going back to school so it was perfect timing. After an intense interview process ;) I was hired! So right now I'm doing paperwork and other tasks for my dad. But the great thing is that I'm trying to learn his business so I can take over for him one day.  Now, this is something that I have never even thought of doing, but with the way the education system has made a turn for the worse, I need to find something else I can fall back onto to make a living.

What my dad does is sells retirement funds to teachers. So I actually have a great background to start this business in the first place. Second, is that after my dad feels comfortable enough with me knowing the business, he would give me all of his clients which revenues about $50 million dollars!! That's not how much I would make, but I would be handling that money which would be on commission base. The bad thing is that I have to take a few tests to get licensed to sell these funds. I'm feeling like I have a lot of time in the office that I can use to study and my dad has been in this business for ages now which is a great source to use. I just have never done anything like this before so I am starting from scratch to learn everything. It's just a little scary, but seems to be something I am catching on to with only a week into work. My dad really wants to retire and this could be perfect for the both of us.

So I am out of the classroom now and into the business/office world. What a different setting they are. I can finally relate to The Office and understand some of those jokes. I am absolutely loving being able to get on the computer like I am right now when I have a little bit of free time to do some personal things. I also love being able to use the bathroom when I want, work through lunch so I can leave an hour early, make appointments without being stressed about making sure I have coverage for that time. These are just to name a few. Like I said, this is only my second week of work and I'm loving it already. Don't get me wrong, it definitely gets boring at times because I will frequently be in the office on my own cause my dad does some traveling and meetings with clients. But so far so good for me!

I will hopefully be able to update more often now that I am working on a computer everyday. I have so much to update since it's been forever. Until next time, wish me luck on this new work/life adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrapbooking Slide