Thursday, July 2, 2009

Need Some Advice

I know it's still awhile off but I started thinking last night laying in bed about having family out for our babies birth. I want as many people as possible to come out when I give birth. The thing is that I'm becoming nervous about having people stay with us. Particularly Dave's family. My parents have already stated that they will be here. My parents will either get a hotel room or stay with my sis though. They already know they don't want to get in the way. Plus I know I can tell my fam to give us some space and they will listen. Dave's family will barely be able to afford a flight out here let alone a hotel room. The thing is that we would have Dave's mom, step dad, his sister, his 2 nieces (7 and 5) and boyfriend. The problem is we only have a 2 bedroom apartment with one extra queen size bed.

Let me sidetrack real quick to give you some background why I'm really starting to freak. When Dave and I lived in Virginia, his family came to visit all at the same time. It was his mom, step dad, sister, 2 nieces, husband, and grandma. Luckily we had a house but it was still only 2 bedrooms. We had his gram sleep in the bed and the rest of the family slept on air mattresses. His mom and step dad were in the dining room. It just got WAY too crazy to have that many people in such a small place. And his family doesn't get along the best either so it was very stressful.

So I started picturing all of that happening again when they come out here in our small, and I mean small, apartment. On top of that we will have a newborn to take care of. I don't know how I'm going to react to having a newborn around either. I'm going to breastfeed so that means a lot of sleepless nights for me. I'm not the best when I'm tired and don't feel like having to entertain his family. The other thing that is bothering me is thinking about how his mom is going to constantly tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing. Since this is our first, I want Dave and I to have that experience of figuring things out ourselves. Dave is allowed 10 days leave when the baby is born. I kind of want Dave and I to have those days to bound with the baby and not have any kind of drama while he's off. Am I crazy to feel this way?? I'm hoping we can convince Dave's family to come out for xmas. That would give us some time to bound and adjust to a baby around but we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. Wayne and I decided that we really wanted to "learn" how to be parents by doing it ourselves, not someone (even mom) telling us how or what to do. We also wanted our time (me, wayne, and new baby) together with only us. He only got 2 weeks off work and I did not want any family here the entire time he was off of work. So we just explained it to them the best way we could. My mom was hurt but in the end she understood. It made more sense for me to have her here to help out when wayne did go back to work. She came 2 weeks after the birth and his parents came 5 weeks after (they got to see her first smile) so it worked out better. I was able to play host better and I was breastfeeding which for me was embarrassing in front of anyone so it was kinda a pain to have to go to the other room but that was not a huge issue. it was nice to have help but you will have that with your mom. I think it may be overwhelming to have that many people and the newborn. Just think about what you really want out of that time. And DO NOT feel bad about not letting them come. It is your first baby so do what you think it best for the three of you! Congrats on having a boy by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain Brittny. As you know when I had Mackenzie I went from being on my own to having a full house. You have to make sure people understand that it's what you want. I did it with my sister and at first I don't think she liked it, but in the end she was fine with it. I think you should definitely use those ten days to be just you and Dave. Have all the family plan together their trips so you don't have people crammed into your house. Possibly try and have it so they come out separately.
    As for the advice...everyone is going to be giving you advice, even the people who stop to look at the baby in the store. You just have to take it with a grain of salt and always do what you think is best.
    You guys are going to make great parents and I can't wait to meet little DJ!! :)
    p.s. Call me if you ever want to talk about this...remember I've already been through it so if you want my experience I'm always here!!

    ReplyDelete

Scrapbooking Slide